MANILA, Philippines – With the sucess of shows such as On The Wings of Love, FPJ's Ang Probinsyano, and Doble Kara, Dreamscape Television Entertainment is back with another show – Born For You, a love story about destiny. The show stars rising teen star Janella Salvador and Elmo Magalona, who moved to ABS-CBN from GMA 7 last year.
In the show, Janella and Elmo play Sam and Kevin, who meet abroad. With their love for music, the two become close to each other, not knowing about the past that connects them.
Here are some facts about the upcoming show.
1. The show was shot in Japan. During the grand press conference Tuesday night, June 14, the trailer was shown, featuring some of Japan's iconic places such as Mt. Fuji and the Shibuya Crossing.
Janella and Elmo said that one of their favorite scenes in Japan was when they crossed paths in Shibuya.
2. Janella and Elmo are from a family of musicians. Music is a very important element in the show as Janella and Elmo play characters associated with people in the music industry. In real life, Janella and Elmo have roots in music. Janella, who launched her self-titled album last year, is the daughter of Miss Saigon alumnae Jenine Desiderio and Juan Miguel Salvador. Elmo is the son of the late rapper Francis Magalona.
"I'm very happy to be given a role like this," Janella said of her character Sam. "Nakakarelate talaga ako sa role ko. First of all, she grew up with music talaga, yung mga parents niya ay singers talaga. Tapos sobra niya talagang love ang pagkanta. (I can relate to my role. First of all, she grew up with music and her parents are really singers. And then she really loves to sing.)
"And another thing I love about my role is that it gave me the opportunity to play the ukelele," Janella said adding that before doing Born for You, she was already training to play the instrument and got excited when she found out her character will play an instrument in the show.
Elmo also said that he was very happy that music is a big factor in the show, saying that his role, Kevin, is very close to his heart.
Happy Father's Day Pop! Love you forever. A photo posted by Elmo Magalona (@elmomagalona) on Jun 21, 2015 at 1:13am PDT
A very sunny but cold 7:30 pm. Used my tint from @natashabeautyph because I already look like a ghost!! Brrr A photo posted by Janella Salvador (@superjanella) on Aug 30, 2015 at 11:42am PDT
3. Born for You is Janella's first primetime show. Born For You takes over the timeslot of KimXi show The Story of Us, which ended on Friday, June 17. The show's time slot is new for Janella after appearing in two morning shows – Be Careful with My Heart and Oh My G!
On having a primetime show, Janella said: "Well first of all, it's my first time working with Dreamscape and I'm very thankful na binigay nila yung opportunity na ito (that they gave me the opportunity). Syempre may (Of course there's) pressure nga po, that's primetime, but I was more excited because finally I was given this opportunity. Not all artists my age are going to be given the opportunity and I love the material talaga. I'm amazed – it's close to me."
4. Some of the supporting cast members are also musicians. Aside from Janella and Elmo, some of the cast members have experience in the music industry. Vina Morales, Ariel Rivera, and Ayen Munji-Laurel, who play the parents of Janella and Elmo in the show, started their careers in the music scene.
Ariel, who became popular as a singer in the '90s and is part of the afternoon drama Doble Kara, said the element of music made him accept the role.
"Having the element of music in the soap is big, one of the reasons why I want to do this," Ariel said. "This is something different. I've always enjoyed music and I thought doing a teleserye incorporating music, I thought it was something different aside from what I was doing from Doble Kara. So music was a big part of accepting this role."
5. The show deals with issues in the music industry. Aside from the love story, Born for You will tackle the ins and outs of the music and recording industry. Ayen Munji-Laurel, who plays Ariel Rivera's wife, said this type of project is a dream come true for her.
"It's a dream come true for me to be part of this teleserye. Syempre ito yung unang-una kong soap sa ABS and nalaman ko na ganito yung project, it's about the music industry, and my role is very powerful because my dad (played by Freddie Webb) and I magka-competition kami, and we have a recording company – kaming dalawa ni Ariel," Ayen said.
(It's a dream come true for me to be part of this teleserye. Of course this is my very first soap in ABS, and I found out it was this type of project, it's about the music industry and my role is very powerful because my dad and I, we are competitors, and we have a recording company – Ariel and I.)
"So umiikot yung storya sa mundo ng musika and kung papaano nagpapalakad, makikita n'yo din yung competition ng mga kantang sumisikat, yung mga plano... And of course, incorporated din yung conflict namin ng pamilya," she said.
(So the story revolves around the world of music and how it goes, you will also see the competition of the songs who are a hit, the plans... And of course our family conflict is incorporated.)
The project is also a reunion of sorts for Ayen and Ariel. Ariel was part of the cast of the musical Rama at Sita, for which Ayen was a producer.
6. Born for You and David Pomeranz. The show is named after the hit song of singer-songwriter David Pomeranz, whose hits also include "Got to Believe in Magic," "King and Queen of Hearts," and more. As part of the promotion for the show, David recorded the song for the show's music video, which he also appeared in.
7. The show will test the tandem of Janella and Elmo aka ElNella.
The show is also the first time Janella and Elmo will work together. When asked if they are ready for what may happen to their tandem and how it will grow, both said yes.
"The fact is that it's amazing na maraming nag-susupport kahit hindi pa nag start yung show, sobrang natutuwa na kami and hopefully that's a sign na effective yung loveteam namin," Janella said.
(The fact is that it's amazing that there are so many supporters even though the show hasn't started yet, so we're happy, and hopefully that's a sign that our loveteam is very effective.)
"We're really hoping the people will fall in love with the show," she added.
Both were also pleased that they've gotten good feedback during the premiere of the pilot week of the show.
"Syempre super happy. Iyan naman po yung gusto namin ipakita na meron kaming chemistry ni Janella and at least nakita na sa pilot. What's even more exciting is starting pa lang iyon," Elmo said.
(Of course we're super happy. That's what we want to show everyone – that Janella and I have chemistry and at least it was shown in the pilot. What's even more exciting is that's only the beginning.)
Born For You also stars Freddie Webb, Gina Pareño, Smokey Manaloto, Bernard Palanca, Jimboy Martin, Joj Agpangan, Francis Magundayao, Ogie Diaz, Katya Santos, DJ Durano, Alfred Labatos, Kyline Alcantara, Paulo O’hara, Neil Coleta, and Young JV. The show is directed by Onat Diaz and Jon Villarin. – Rappler.com