MANILA, Philippines – One of the surprises for pageant followers during Binibining Pilipinas last Sunday, April 17, was the win of 25-year-old Jennifer Hammond, who was crowned Bb Pilipinas Intercontinental by her predecessor Christi Lynn McGarry.
But many also believed that when Jennifer won the Best In Long Gown award, she also had the chance to grab a title – and true enough, she was crowned a queen.
Let's get to know more about the lady from Laguna.
1. She is a nurse by profession. According to her profile in the Bb Pilipinas website, Jennifer graduated cum laude in BS Nursing.
She also reached the top 20 in the nursing board exams, but she decided not to pursue a profession in the field.
In an interview on Tonight with Boy Abunda Thursday, April 21, Jennifer said that she took up Nursing upon the advice of her mom. She said, "I enjoyed because I think it's one of the most noble professions one could have."
UPDATE: In a Facebook chat with Rappler, Jennifer said that she spent her first 2 years in Manila Doctors College (now Manila Tytana Colleges) before finishing her studies at Perpetual Help in Laguna.
Tina Daniac #fashionweek #phfw #modelmode A photo posted by Jennifer Hammond (@hemmendjenn) on Jul 14, 2015 at 7:02pm PDT
Off to see the MMFF entries! #goodhousekeeping #fashioneditorial #iampmap A photo posted by Jennifer Hammond (@hemmendjenn) on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:43am PST
3. She joined Miss World Philippines 2013. Prior to joining Bb Pilipinas, Jennifer tried out for Miss World Philippines 2013, where she was batchmates with Bb Pilipinas International 2014 Janicel Lubina and Miss World 2013 herself, Megan Young.
Jennifer's sister, Louvette Hammond-Fowler, was Mutya ng Pilipinas - World 1978.
Swimwear competition #missworldphilippines #mwp2013 #fila A photo posted by Jennifer Hammond (@hemmendjenn) on Jul 14, 2015 at 5:42pm PDT
4. She always wanted to experience being part of Bb Pilipinas. In a chat last April 1 at their Jag Jeans event in Cubao, Jennifer said that she always wanted to be a beauty queen, especially after Pia Wurtzbach's win in the national pageant and in Miss Universe 2015.
"After Pia joined – after she won – I said to myself, 'Every Filipina can do it also if Pia can,' I wanted to take my chance. That's why I joined," she said.
Aside from Pia, Jennifer looks up to Miss International 2013 Bea Rose Santiago for inspiration.
"Actually, my dream title is Miss International, and Bea won Miss International," Jennifer said. "I've met Bea a few times na (already), and I really admire her personality and I just really find her beautiful."
1year anniversary of winning Miss International 2013!!! Still grateful, thank you Lord A photo posted by Bea Rose (@bea.santiago) on Dec 17, 2014 at 1:53am PST
5. She has the "shortest" hair among the queens. There is a belief that long hair is prefered in pageants. But Jennifer sports a hairdo that's not too long and not too short.
Aces and Queens head Jonas Gaffud wrote on Instagram: "So happy for you Jennifer Hammond for winning Bb Pilipinas Intercontinental 2016. I was really worried about our decision for a short-hair-don't-care look.
"Remember in pageants, you don't need to always get extensions and sport a long hair to feel feminine and look like a queen."
So happy for you Jennifer Hammond for winning BbPilipinas Intercontinental 2016. I was really worried about our decision for a short hair don't care look. Hahaha. Remember in pageants, you don't need to always get extensions and sport a long hair to feel feminine and look like a queen. #shorthairdontcare #AcesandQueens A photo posted by Jonas Antonio Gaffud (@jonasofmercator) on Apr 19, 2016 at 9:12pm PDT
6. She's in a happy relationship. Aside from her family, one of Jennifer's most enthusiastic cheerleaders is her boyfriend Ryan Sy, who participated in the recent Century Tuna Superbods competition.
To my miss universe: congratulations on your huge win, and continue to kill it on your road to miss intercontinental! I'm so proud of you, and grateful to have someone like you in my life, who puts up with all my craziness. Love you babe #bbpilipinas #missintercontinental #loml A photo posted by Ryan Christopher Sy (@ryan.christopher.sy) on Apr 18, 2016 at 12:13am PDT
Meanwhile, me spends quality time with this cutiepie! Loved the play, merci mon amour! #lesmiserables #datenight A photo posted by Jennifer Hammond (@hemmendjenn) on Mar 23, 2016 at 11:25pm PDT
7. Jennifer and Bb Pilipinas Globe 2016 Nichole Manalo used to go to school together. Jennifer shared this information during the Bb Pilipinas live chat Friday, April 22.
"You know what, we went to the same school, Manila Doctor's College. We were batchmates. So iyon (there), we're close," she said.
8. On the toughest part of joining the pageant. In the same interview with Boy Abunda Thursday night, Jennifer admitted that she had to prove to everyone that she was worthy of a crown.
"The toughest part for me is that I'm not one of the favorites and I had to fight," she said.
"Malalaman mo [na hindi ka favorite] kasi merong Bb Pilipinas page and maraming nag-co-comment, maraming nag-chi-cheer for these candidates – the netizens. So I had to fight the feeling of [being] low," she added.
(You'll know you're not a favorite becase in the Bb Pilipinas page, there are many commenters, many cheer for their favorite candidates – the netizens.)
Hirap nman ng fast talk! #twba #bbpilipinas2016 #missintercontinental A photo posted by Jennifer Hammond (@hemmendjenn) on Apr 21, 2016 at 7:57am PDT
More Binibining Pilipinas 2016 on Rappler:
Predictions and live blog:
Leading up to coronation night:
Get to know the ladies: