11 Abu Sayyaf killed, 17 soldiers wounded in Sulu attack

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines (UPDATED) – At least 11 members of the Abu Sayyaf were killed Friday morning, August 26, while 17 Army troops were wounded in an encounter in Sitio Makaita, Barangay Bunkaong in Patikul, Sulu.

Among those killed was alleged Abu Sayyaf sub-commander Mohammad Said, alias Ama Maas, who had 5 standing warrants of arrest for murder, the military said. 

Said was involved in the abduction of 3 foreigners and a Filipina on Samal Island off Davao in September 2015. Two of the kidnap victims, both Canadians, had been beheaded.

The wounded soldiers are being treated in Sulu and will be moved to Zamboanga City for further assistance.

Lieutenant General Mayoralgo M. dela Cruz, commanding general of the Western Mindanao Command, said the military is bent on implementing the order of President Rodrigo Duterte to crush the Abu Sayyaf. 

"He gave a specific order. The mission is clear. Seek and destroy the ASG," Dela Cruz said. "By all means that’s what we are doing and we will not stop until it’s done." – Rappler.com