Amin Baco is new ISIS Southeast Asia leader – PNP

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – The Philippine National Police (PNP) said Monday, November 6, that Amin Baco is the new leader of Islamic State (ISIS) in Southeast Asia, and is leading the remaining Maute Group fighters.

This was announced by Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa on Monday, November 6 citing police intel.

We have received reports na ‘yung remaining doon sa grupo, na si Amin Baco na nag-assume as the new emir…Hindi lang remaining stragglers doon, kundi sa buong Southeast Asia,” Dela Rosa said.

(We have received reports that the remaining group there [in Marawi] have Amin Baco assuming as their new emir… Not only for the stragglers there but for the entire Southeast Asia.)

PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa disclosed this information, citing police intelligence, during the presentation to the media of Muhammad Ilham Syahputra, an Indonesian tied to the Maute-ISIS group. Syahputra was captured by authorities in the Marawi main battleground on November 1.

Baco, a Malaysian, replaces Filipino Isnilon Hapilon, one of the masterminds of the Marawi siege which lasted 5 months. He was killed last month, leading to the end of the conflict.

According to PNP Deputy Director for Operations General Fernando Mendez Jr, Baco is "one of the most experienced terrorists" in the Philippines.

Mendez said Baco spent time with infamous terrorist tied to the Mamasapano massacre, Marwan. He, however, said the ties with the massacre of Baco has yet to be traced.

According to Dela Rosa, they have received reports that Baco, along with remaining stragglers are already struggling to escape from the main battle area, adding that they have raw information saying that Baco may have already escaped from the main battle area.

He said that they have yet to confirm these reports.  – Rappler.com

Rambo Talabong

Rambo Talabong covers security, crime, and the city of Manila for Rappler. He was chosen as a Jaime V. Ongpin Fellow in 2019 for his reporting on President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs.

image