MANILA, Philippines – Superintendent Marvin Marcos – the former chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) Region 8 – and 17 other policemen were allowed to return to Region 8 on Friday, December 2, Chief Superintendent Leo Angelo Leuterio, Deputy Inspector General of the Internal Affairs Service said.
He, along with the other policemen, were previously placed under a restrictive custody order that relieved them of their posts and barred them from leaving Camp Crame for the duration of the investigation against them.
The Philippine Daily Inquirer said that the restrictive custody order was lifted temporarily to allow the policemen to go back to Region 8 to get the requisite papers they need to file counter-affidavits.
Marcos was said to be involved in the death of Albuera, Leyte Mayor Rolando Espinosa Sr.
While they can temporarily leave the premises of Camp Crame to prepare their counter-affidavits, Leuterio clarified that they are under 'floating status.'
In general, aside from this temporary reprieve from the restrictive custody order, "they are assigned in the police holding and accounting unit of the PNP located in national headquarters in Camp Crame." They will also not be reinstated to their prior positions.
Marcos was earlier taken off his post due to his supposed links to the illegal drugs trade in the region.
Senator Leila de Lima claimed on December 1 that it was Special Assistant to the President Bong Go who requested the reinstatement of Marcos. This was denied by Go.
President Rodrigo Duterte, however, admitted at the graduation ceremony of the Highway Patrol Group motorcycle riding course in Davao City on December 2 that he was the one who asked Dela Rosa to reinstate Marcos. He did not, however, categorically say he was the one who personally called Dela Rosa.
"I'd like to make it public. Kaya sabi ko, as it is kayo diyan. Doon ko nalaman si Dolina malinis. Si Marcos may tama. Pero 'wag mong galawin kasi gusto kong tingnan. Kung biglain mo, napuputol yung nagbi-build up na kaso…..So hindi totoo na si Bong Go tumawag," he said.
(I'd like to make it public. That's why I said, you remain there as it is. That's where I learned that Dolina is clean. Marcos is not. But don't move them because I want to see. If you do that suddenly, the case build up would be disrupted….So it's not true that Bong Go was the one who called.)
In a statement, Senator Panfilo "Ping" Lacson, the former PNP chief, criticized Dela Rosa for lifting the restrictive custody order, calling it "frustrating."
"At a time when he just shot himself in the foot by unnecessarily announcing that he relented after somebody interceded for Marcos' reinstatement, in spite of prior information that he himself revealed to have received, that the police official was receiving payola money from a drug syndicate in Leyte, now he released them from restrictive custody and even allowed them to be back in Leyte. He should have discerned that there are witnesses there who will be cowering in fear by the mere sight of Marcos and his team in Baybay," Lacson said. – with a report from Camille Elemia/Rappler.com