16 dead in areas hit by Typhoon Ineng

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – At least 16 were reported dead in areas hit by Typhoon Ineng (Goni), authorities said as of Monday, August 24.

The Subic police in Zambales province reported that two children died when flash floods from the overflowing Mangan-Vaca River washed away their house in Purok 2, Barangay Mangan-Vaca, at around 2 am Monday.

The casualties were identied as Regienyr Quintero, 9 months old, and Rian Layn Quintero, 2. Their older sibling R-Gien, 5, is still missing.

On Sunday, August 23, the 6 pm update of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said 14 casualties had been reported in Benguet, Mountain Province, and Ilocos Norte – all north of Manila.

Meanwhile, 11 typhoon victims were reported injured. They came from Mountain Province, Benguet, Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sure, Batanes, and Cagayan.

At least 3 were also reported missing from La Union, Ilocos Norte, and Cagayan, in addition to the missing child in Subic, Zambales.

A weakened Ineng headed toward Japan on Sunday, August 23. 

At 4 pm on Sunday, the eye of the typhoon was at 430 kilometers northeast of Basco, Batanes, the northmost Philippine province. All public storm warning signals had been lifted.

The Philippines was hit hardest by the storm, which triggered landslides and floods.

The storm is the 9th out of an average of 20 that hit the Philippines each year. – with reports from Randy Datu and Agence France-Presse/Rappler.com