Duterte disagrees with Año bid to disqualify officials from 2019 polls – Roque

MANILA, Phiippines – President Rodrigo Duterte does not support the bid of Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Officer-in-Charge Eduardo Año to disqualify local officials  from the 2019 elections due to the degradation of Boracay.

This was Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque's assertion on Thursday, October 4 during a Palace press briefing.

"Point well taken but the President is a lawyer. He knows they cannot be disqualified unless they have been convicted with finality and the accessory penalty of disqualification from office has been decreed by the court," said Roque.

Año had earlier said he plans to recommend to the Commission on Elections the disqualification of 17 local government officials from running in the midterm elections.

The DILG has filed criminal and administrative complaints against these local executives for allegedly neglecting the care for the island paradise.

A graft complaint was filed against the following:

The following officials, meanwhile, are the subject of an administrative complaint:

It was Duterte who ordered Boracay's 6-month closure, supposedly for the rehabilitation of the island. (READ: INSIDE STORY: How Duterte decided on Boracay closure)

The island is set to re-open on October 26. – Rappler.com

Pia Ranada

Pia Ranada covers the Office of the President and Bangsamoro regional issues for Rappler. While helping out with desk duties, she also watches the environment sector and the local government of Quezon City. For tips or story suggestions, you can reach her at pia.ranada@rappler.com.

image