MANILA, Philippines - Rival camps in the Manila local polls have released on Tuesday, May 7, separate survey results showing that their mayoral bets would win the local race.
Kabaka survey: Erap-Isko
The camp of former President Joseph Estrada quoted results from a survey conducted by the group Kabalikat ng Bayan sa Kaunlaran (Kabaka) showing that 62% of respondents will vote for Estrada and running mate Isko Moreno; 34% will vote for re-electionist Mayor Alfredo Lim and running mate Lou Veloso; while 4% are still undecided.
The survey was conducted from April 17-23. The release did not specify the number of respondents but described them as "vendors; jeepney, tricycle, and pedicab drivers; youth; women; elderly and professionals."
Kabaka, a group founded by Estrada's ally, re-electionist 5th District representative Amado Bagatsing, declared support for the local candidates of the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) on March 15. The 100,000-strong group made Estrada honorary chairman the same day.
“Kitang kita sa survey na halos lahat ng Manilenyo ay nananawagan para sa pagbabago (The survey shows that Manila residents are calling for change),” Bagatsing said. “Iisa ang layunin naming lahat, at ‘yan ay maibalik ang kadakilaan at kagandahan ng aming lungsod (We only have one goal - to restore the glory and grandeur of our city).”
'Survey' by barangay chairmen: Lim-Veloso
The camp of re-electionist Mayor Alfredo Lim posted on his Facebook page that survey respondents from 6 districts of Manila have decided to vote for Lim and running mate Councilor Lou Veloso. No number of respondents, time period and research method were specified in the statement.
"A landslide win for the tandem of Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim and his candidate Vice Mayor Lou Veloso. This forecast was made by residents from Districts 1 to 6, based on reports coming from barangay chairmen who have conducted separate surveys among their constituents," it said.
The Lim camp added that "out of the 896 barangay chairmen in Manila, 766 chairmen as well as their respective kagawad shave (sic) pledged support for the Lim-Veloso tandem. Only 93 reportedly go for Estrada while 37 would not meddle in politics."
It listed reasons why the residents will vote for the incumbent mayor:
1. The establishment of 6 public hospitals aside from the two free colleges, 485 daycare centers, 97 additional new building for public elementary and high school, 59 barangay health centers and 12 lying-in clinics, which they said do not exist in San Juan where Estrada was mayor for 17 years;
3. Lack of vices on the part of Lim unlike Estrada who is known for his drinking and gambling habits;
4. Leading a simple lifestyle compared to Erap who spent P80 million just to satisfy the residency requirement;
5. Genuine concern for the poor compared to Estrada who ordered the violent demolition of shanties in Barangay Corazon de Jesus in San Juan where even children were not spared from tear gas;
6. Taking care of the lowly vendors and pedicab drivers, whom Erap said should not be allowed to operate in Manila;
7. Non-creation of a `political dynasty’ compared to Erap whose wives and children are all in politics;
8. Public service record untainted by corruption and the fact that Lim never faced any charges or was ever convicted or jailed for any crime involving plunder, unlike Estrada who is yet to pay the government some P200 million.
Isko: Lim camp fooling themselves
Moreno said there are only 237 barangay captains who support the Lim camp while their camp is backed by 600 barangay chairmen.
"Ang pinakamahirap sa lahat, sa isang tao, iyong niloloko mo na ang iyong sarili (the worst thing about people is that they delude themselves)," Moreno said. "May kasabihang (There's a saying) 'a lie often said becomes the gospel truth."
Moreno added that if Lim camp has a survey that tells they are winning, they should not resort to "dirty tricks." -Rappler.com