No Filipinos harmed in Japan floods – PH envoy


MANILA, Philippines – There are no reports, so far, of Filipinos injured by the massive flooding in eastern Japan, Philippine Ambassador to Japan Manuel Lopez said on Friday, September 11.

"As of today, none of our kababayans (countrymen) in any part of Japan were reported to have been injured because of the flooding,"
Lopez  said in a phone patch interview on ANC on Friday, September 11.

He said that the embassy received information that at least 15 Filipinos in Ibaraki prefecture have been evacuated to safer locations. (READ: Floods spark evacuations as Japan is deluged)

"We have information that as of now, there are about 15 Filipinos who have been evacuated in Ibaraki prefecture. They are all safe, none of them are injured but they have been moved to safer locations," Lopez said.

He said that the local government of Miyagi prefecture, which hosts an estimated 4,000 to 6,000 Filipinos, has ordered the evacuation of its residents.

Lopez added: "That's being monitored closely. By this afternoon, we will  know status of how many of our nationals (in Miyagi prefecture) have been evacuated or have injuries."

He said the embassy is in touch with leaders of Filipino communities in the affected areas.

At least 3 people were killed and 25 remained missing in eastern Japan, after torrential rains – the heaviest in decades – inundated communities. (READ: Thousands of rescuers head to flood-hit Japanese city) – Rappler.com