MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Friday, May 18, chided former chief justice Maria Lourdes Sereno for calling on President Rodrigo Duterte to resign and alleging that he was behind her ouster.
In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Sereno has no one but herself to blame for her removal as chief justice.
“We consider this unfortunate for the truth is, 4 other fingers point to her. Ex-CJ Sereno should closely look at the mirror to see who is behind the Supreme Court ruling. She herself violated the Constitution by not filing her SALN, and she herself managed to alienate her own colleagues at the High Court,” Roque said.
Though he had made such public pronouncements, Duterte had repeatedly denied any involvement in Sereno’s case and said on Wednesday, May 16, that he would resign if proven otherwise.
Roque reiterated the President’s denial on Friday.
“The President has not violated the Constitution, and unlike the former Chief Justice, PRRD enjoys high satisfaction, approval, performance, and trust ratings from the Filipino people,” he said.
Roque had earlier declined to comment on Sereno's resignation call on Duterte, saying on Thursday, "Hayaan na po natin siya at hayaan na natin siyang manahimik bilang pribadong indibidwal (Let us leave her alone, and let us leave her in peace as a private individual)."
On Friday, Roque said Malacañang decided to address the matter as Sereno "has been engaged in grandstanding and seeking media coverage, pointing an accusing finger at President Duterte for the result of the quo warranto petition filed against her." – Rappler.com