MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine embassy in South Korea released its contingency plan as tensions rise in the Korean Peninsula after North Korea carried out its largest nuclear test so far.
"Disasters may occur without warning at any time. When disaster strikes, remain calm but alert," the Philippine embassy said in its contingency plan, which was published on Facebook on Thursday, September 7.
The contingency plan, which is 14 pages long, is available on the embassy's Facebook page. It is also accessible through the Scribd document below.
In this contingency plan, the embassy details the 4 different alert levels implemented by the Philippine government.
These alert levels indicate when and how to evacuate.
The contingency plan also contains information such as what a survival kit or emergency grab bag should contain.
The document, too, lists the Philippine embassy's area coordinators in the different cities and provinces of South Korea.
"Give the area coordinators your contact information so that you can receive important advisories and information coming from the embassy," the embassy told Filipinos there.
This comes after Pyongyang on Sunday, September 3, triggered global alarm with its most powerful nuclear blast to date, claiming to have successfully tested a hydrogen bomb. (READ: North Korea celebrates nuclear test)
The blast triggered global condemnation and calls by the United States, South Korea, Japan, and others for stronger United Nations Security Council sanctions against Pyongyang. (READ: PH hits North Korea over 'provocative' H-bomb test) – with reports from Agence France-Presse / Rappler.com
Paterno R. Esmaquel II is a senior reporter leading Rappler’s coverage of religion and foreign affairs. He finished MA Journalism in Ateneo and MSc Asian Studies (Religions in Plural Societies) at RSIS, Singapore. For story ideas or feedback, email him at email@example.com.