Philippines records 1st local death due to coronavirus

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – A 67-year-old Filipina, the country's 35th case of the novel coronavirus, died on Wednesday, March 11.

The Department of Health (DOH) said the woman who had no travel history outside the Philippines had been confined at the Manila Doctors Hospital in Manila. 

"The DOH is currently gathering and validating more information on the reported death," the health department said in a statement late Wednesday night. 

This latest case brings the Philippines' COVID-19 death toll to two, after the Chinese man who had previously traveled to the country from Wuhan, China – the epicenter of the outbreak – died on February 1

The DOH said the woman started showing symptoms of COVID-19 on February 29 and tested positive on March 11.

She is the wife of the 34th 2019-nCoV case who attended a Senate hearing on March 5, prompting several senators to start undergoing a 14-day home quarantine starting Thursday evening. 

The Senate headquarters is also under lockdown.

As of Wednesday, the Philippines has recorded a total of 49 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

The novel coronavirus has infected more than 118,000 people and killed over 4,200 across 110 countries. Still, more than 61,000 people have recovered from the virus. – Rappler.com

Mara Cepeda

Mara Cepeda writes about politics and women’s rights for Rappler. She covers the House of Representatives and the Office of the Vice President. Got tips? Send her an email at mara.cepeda@rappler.com or shoot her a tweet @maracepeda.

image