MANILA, Philippines (4th UPDATE) – More than 100 students from the Pio del Pilar Elementary School in Makati City were rushed to medical facilities after suffering from "food poisoning," city officials said on Thursday, January 14.
Acting Makati Mayor Romulo "Kid" Peña Jr said in a statement he had ordered the Makati Health Department and the Makati City Police to conduct a thorough investigation of the incident.
"We deeply regret the food poisoning incident earlier today in Pio del Pilar Elementary School that has caused at least 100 students to fall ill after reportedly ingesting snack foods sold by the school canteen," Peña said.
The students, aged between 9 to 13 years old, complained of dizziness and stomach pains.
Dominico Idanan, acting schools division superindendent in Makati for the Department of Education, told Rappler that 126 pupils were affected.
Sixty-four were sent to the Palanan Health Center while the rest were sent to the Ospital ng Makati (OsMak).
As of 9 pm on Thursday, all the students have been discharged except for 11-year-old Arabel Ablang, who is only consuming the IV fluids that were given to her in the hospital. She will be discharged thereafer. Another student also still under observation at a private hopsital due to mild dehydration.
Peña said he has personally visited the students to check on their condition on Thursday morning.
"I am assuring their parents that the city government will shoulder the costs of their treatment and management until they have fully recovered....The public may rest assured that the city government will do its best to prevent a repeat of the unfortunate incident," he said. – Rappler.com