MANILA, Philippines (4th UPDATE) – The provinces of Isabela and Cagayan have begun to have power outages in some areas as Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut) is expected to make landfall in the early hours of Saturday, September 15.
It was earlier reported that the power was shut off in the Cabagan and Palanan municipalities in Isabela.
In Cagayan, the Cagayan Electric Cooperative (CAGELCO) I said all power lines servicing Piat, Sto. Niño, Tuao, and Rizal were shut off for safety purposes.
Cagayan Electric Cooperative (CAGELCO II) information officer Princess Pauig said power supply in all the towns they cover have already been cut.
National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) North Luzon spokesperson Lilibeth Gaydowen said all the lines in their Tuguegarao substations have tripped off due to strong winds. This affected lines covering in Tuguegarao and the neighboring towns.
As of 11 pm, strong winds and rains are starting to be felt in the whole province.
Some residents in their homes are also requesting for rescue.
Meanwhile, the power is down in Vigan and Candon City in Ilocos Sur. It is yet unclear as to what caused the power outage in those areas, though Rappler has reached out to the Ilocos Sur Electric Cooperative (ISECO) for additional information.
Local police reported some 151 families from Santo Tomas, Isabela were preemptively evacuated while 2,844 individuals were now in evacuation centers in the coastal town of Palanan. (READ: Thousands flee in Isabela, Cagayan ahead of Typhoon Ompong landfall)
Situation at the Doña Magdalena Gaffud National High School (Riverside Region Evacuation Center) in Echague, Isabela ahead the landfall of #OmpongPH. Municipality of Echague/FB @rapplerdotcom @MovePH pic.twitter.com/pzbwn90EVV — Kurt Adrian (@KurtAdrianDP) September 14, 2018
Ompong is expected to make landfall in the Cagayan-Isabela area on September 15, at some time between 1 am and 3 am.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said over 15,000 individuals from the Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Calabarzon, and Cordillera Administrative Region have been evacuated as of Friday night.
An estimated 5.2 million people are in the path of the typhoon, though this number is likely to change as the agency monitors Ompong and its movements.
National government agencies, local government units, the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Philippine National Police, and the Philippine Coast Guard were placed on alert to respond to the typhoon. (READ: What gov't has done so far to prepare for Typhoon Ompong) – with reports from Raymon Dullana/Rappler.com
News you can use during Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut):