MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Basketball Association and the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas have agreed to push through with a special draft for the Gilas Pilipinas cadets to enter the league, it was announced on Wednesday, October 19.
In a press conference at halftime of Game 6 of the ongoing PBA Finals, SBP President Al Panlilio, together with PBA commissioner Chito Narvasa and the board of governors, announced the names of cadets who will be included in the draft.
Mac Belo, Kevin Ferrer, Ed Daquioag, Russel Escoto, Carl Byran Cruz, Jio Jalalon, Von Pessumal, Roger Pogoy, Mike Tolomia, Arnold Van Opstal, Matthew Wright, Almond Vosotros, and Alfonso Gotladera.
Gotladera serves as the 13th man in the pool with Vosotros having already been drafted last year.
The draft will be held right before the regular Rookie Draft on October 30. Teams will follow the natural draft order, sans picks acquired from trades.
The 12 PBA teams will have one cadet each and will not be allowed to trade the cadets for a minimum of two years, according to the PBA and SBP's agreement.
The 12 other pro players, one from every team, will be named by head coach Chot Reyes as soon as the next international competition.
As Reyes said earlier, after it was announced that he will return to the head coaching job for Gilas on Tuesday, October 18, the cadets may be pulled out of their PBA ball clubs at any time for national team duties.
The cadets will be pulled out as early as 60 days before the competition while regular PBA players will report to the national team 15 days before any tilt.
Panlilio also said there are plans to get two more naturalized players on top of Andray Blatche as options for the Gilas pool. – Rappler.com