Apple pledged on Tuesday, July 21, to be carbon neutral across its entire business, including its manufacturing supply chain, by 2030, in a stepped up push to fight climate change.
The tech giant, which is already carbon neutral for its corporate operations, said the move would mean no climate impact for all its devices sold.
As part of an environmental update, Apple said it plans to reduce emissions by 75% by 2030 while developing "innovative carbon removal solutions" for the remaining 25% of its comprehensive footprint.
This includes investing in projects to restore savannas in Kenya and a mangrove ecosystem in Colombia to remove or store carbon.
"Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share," said Apple chief executive Tim Cook.
"Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth."
Apple said it has commitments from over 70 suppliers to use 100% renewable energy for Apple production.
As part of the effort, Apple will also establish an "accelerator" fund to invest in minority-owned businesses to contribute to the initiative, as part of its $100 million commitment to promote racial equity and justice. – Rappler.com