MANILA, Philippines – Following the suspension of sales of the Samsung Galaxy Note7 due to a safety issue, the Philippines' largest budget airline, Cebu Pacific Air, has prohibited the use of the device on board all its flights beginning Sunday, September 11.
"In light of the recent recall of Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices due to safety issues, Cebu Pacific (CEB) advises passengers that the usage and charging of the device are prohibited onboard all CEB and Cebgo flights beginning today, September 11, 2016, until further notice," Cebu Pacific said in an advisory on Sunday, September 11.
It said that the gadget can be hand-carried but should be turned off for the whole duration of the flight.
"Galaxy Note7 devices must also not be stowed in checked baggage, but may be hand-carried as long as the device is turned off at all times inside the aircraft," Cebu Pacific said.
"We sincerely hope for our passengers' full cooperation, as the safety of everyone onboard our flights remains our utmost priority," it added.
Earlier this month, Samsung announced it would suspend sales of its latest flagship smartphone Galaxy Note7 as reports of exploding batteries threatened to damage the reputation of the South Korean electronics giant.
On Saturday, September 10, civil aviation officials in the United Arab Emirates banned the use of the "phablet" in their national carriers.
Another carrier in the United Arab Emirates, Etihad Airways, has already temporarily banned the use of the gadeget on board its flights. Singapore Airlines, Australia's Qantas, and Virgin Australia have announced similar bans. – Rappler.com