MANILA, Philippines – To the uninitiated, the term "goth" would probably bring to mind darkness, death, moping about one’s existence, and tubs upon tubs of pitch-black eyeliner – and in a way, they’d be right. The subculture does celebrate a lot of gloom and doom, but you’d also be surprised how utterly romantic the goth community can be.
Goths deal with a lot of extreme emotions, and one of these is romantic love. Goth music, then, is rife with some of the most romantic songs, the kind you listen to in a dark room as you pine away for someone (and admit it, you’ve done it before).
To celebrate World Goth Day, below is a playlist we’ve concocted, featuring some of the goth music scene’s well-known acts – and a few we’d like to acquaint you with. To best enjoy the playlist, hole up in your bedroom, turn the lights down, light a candle or two, and wallow in these haunting tunes:
1) The Cure - Lovesong
2) Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
3) Bauhaus - Passion of Lovers
4) Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kiss Them for Me
5) The Velvet Underground and Nico - Femme Fatale
6) Alice Cooper - Love's a Loaded Gun
7) Rubella Ballet - Rainbow Love
8) Cocteau Twins - Love's Easy Tears Restored
9) Dead Can Dance - In Power We Entrust the Love Advocated
10) Zola Jesus - Skin
Which of these songs did you like best? Do you have any other goth love song suggestions? Share your favorites in the comments section below!