Aquino on BOI report, Jabidah massacre anniversary, Pacquiao-Mayweather ‘couch dance’ | The wRap

Today on Rappler:

MAGALONG: AQUINO ‘HURT’ OVER BOI REPORT
President Benigno Aquino conducts a 'no-holds-barred' meeting with Police Director Benjamin Magalong to clarify points in the BOI report.
Magalong says it was a straightforward discussion, very systematic, very educated though the President was admittedly “hurt” by the findings.
The BOI report says Aquino bypassed the PNP chain of command.
Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte says an apology regarding Mamasapano hasn’t been discussed.
Malacanang earlier said Aquino already took full responsibility for the incident despite the lack of a clear apology.
Former president Fidel V. Ramos says there’s no reason for the President not to take responsibility for the carnage.

FIDEL RAMOS, FORMER PHILIPPINE PRESIDENT: Yes what is so difficult about that? As a previous president said, I am sorry. Well, and so that removed a lot of the pressure on that person although eventually other things came up to cause here temporary detention in a hospital for alleged crimes.

Ramos says, Aquino should apologize to redeem himself.

FIDEL RAMOS, FORMER PHILIPPINE PRESIDENT: Saying I’m sorry humbly and sincerely would probably do 90% of the job. But since the hurt has gone so much deeper than what it was really originally based on his absence from Villamor Airbase… when the 42 coffins first arrived. Since then so much has happened in terms of the recalcitrance of Malacanang I’m not just talking about the President but also his spokesperson, his handlers.

He adds, there’s no escaping the principle of command responsibility.

FIDEL RAMOS, FORMER PHILIPPINE PRESIDENT: There is a chain of command that operates under the principle of command responsibility and there is no escaping that we have been practicing and respecting the doctrine of command responsibility. 

More on the Senate report...
the complete draft reveals one of the 6 Americans tried to order the military to fire artillery…
a move that angered 6th Infantry Division commander Major General Edmundo Pangilinan.
Pangilinan refused and told him, “Do not dictate to me what to do. I am the commander here!”
The US servicemen tagged along Special Action Force (SAF) commander Police Director Getulio Napeñas.

MUSLIM LEADERS COMMEMORATE JABIDAH MASSACRE
Filipino Muslims mark the 47th anniversary of the Jabidah massacre in Corregidor Island Wednesday.
Historians see the massacre as the trigger for the decades-long insurgency between Muslim groups and the Philippine government.
In 1967, Filipinos from Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-Tawi, and Zamboanga were recruited to a commando unit called "Jabidah," for a secret mission hatched by former President Ferdinand Marcos to reclaim Sabah from Malaysia.
The plan was scrapped and the troops killed to keep the plan from going public.
Comrades of the murdered Muslim commandos still mourn their deaths.

ABDULLAH CAMLIAN, MILF SECRETARY: In an island right [of] Corregidor… I assembled 90 young people…

The commemoration of the tragic event comes a day after the Senate released its findings on the bloody clash between Muslim rebels and police forces in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last January 25.
ARMM Governor Mujiv Hataman notes with dismay... the report mentions focuses on the policemen and the rebels but makes no mention of the civilians killed.
He asks, “Who will be responsible for the civilians killed in Mamasapano?
He also disagrees with the Senate report that calls the Mamasapano clash “a massacre.”

MUJIV HATAMAN, ARMM GOVERNOR: Hindi ako naniniwala na ang nangyari sa Mamasapano ay isang massacre kasi kailanma’y hindi mangyayari na isang massacre na kung saan ang dalawang grupong nagkatunggali ay parehong may armas.

(I don’t believe what happened in Mamasapano was a massacre. A massacre between two armed groups doesn’t happen.)

INDONESIA CALLS OFF AIRASIA SEARCH
The search for victims from the AirAsia crash ends, with 106 of 162 bodies found.
The decision to end the hunt comes after AirAsia chief Tony Fernandes signalled operations were drawing to a close.
Fernandes considers the operation "successful" and gives credit to the families that agreed it is -quote- obviously not something that can go on indefinitely.
Indonesia will release the final report on the crash by August.

IRISH MARS TRIP FINALIST CASTS DOUBT ON PROJECT
The much-talked about Mars One project faces criticism from one of its finalists… who says the plan will “fall on its face”
Irish astrophysicist Joseph Roche says the selection process for the one-way trip to Mars is inadequate.
Roche focuses on how the project encourages the volunteers to give money to the project.
He adds he hasn’t met anyone from the Mars One project in person.
A study by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology says humans will die within 68 days on the colony.
Mars One, a Dutch-based non-profit, faces constant criticism over its plan to colonize Mars in 2024.
The Mars One group has yet to respond to Roche’s statements.

PACQUIAO OFF TO GOOD START IN PRE-MAYWEATHER SPARRING
Manny Pacquiao enjoys a strong first day of sparring in preparation for his May 2 showdown with Floyd Mayweather.
Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach says -quote- Manny is on fire in the gym.
Pacquiao practiced 5 hard rounds with a pair of sparring partners ‘perfect for testing the strategy to beat Mayweather.’
In Las Vegas… The Deja Vu Showgirls Strip club gives the Mayweather-Pacquiao bout winner... free couch dances for life.

For those on desktop, click on the links on your screen.
You can also click on the tabs below to go to a story in the video.
And for those on smartphones and tablets, the links can be found below the video.

– Rappler.com 

Click here for audio version:

Production Staff